Ready to start a job search? Know you need to have a presence on LinkedIn and other social media channels but don’t know where to start? If you have no idea what LinkedIn is or don’t know where to start to create an account or profile, the first three levels of the LinkedIn plan below can get you well on your way to active social media networking and job search.
Level 1: Getting Started
- Create your Account
- Download the Pulse App on your phone or tablet
- Create your Profile- Your profile is the number one way to get noticed. It is worth it to spend quality time developing a stand-out profile.
- Upload a professional looking photo
- A headline and profile summary that utilizes keywords
- A custom URL
- Experience section that focuses on results you’ve achieved Targeted Skills & Expertise listings that you manage
- Education & credentials listed by most relevant
- Appropriate Extra Sections for your profile such as projects, honors/awards, publications, languages, test scores, courses, patents, certifications, volunteering and causes
- A profile that is organized by most to least relevant sections
Level 2: Build your Network
LinkedIn uses an algorithm for search results that is impacted by the number of connections you have. Therefore, it is critical to build your connections. If your profile is good to go, then the next best investment of your time is to grow your network.
- Send out invitations to connect (the link describes a variety of methods to connect) with those you know by customizing your invitation to them.
- Aim to make at least 500 connections. Create a timeline to manage growing to this number.
- Endorse your connections. Create a strategy for endorsing 10-20 people at least once a week. Endorse those skills that you know the person has, don’t just blanket endorse others.
- Request to connect to 2nd and 3rd degree contacts with introductions. You have five available introductions at one time.
- Accept invitations of people you know or have an indirect connection
- What are groups?
- Aim to join 10-15 groups
- Target, search and join groups by:
- College Alumni
- Trade Organizations
- Nonprofit groups
- Search for Job Openings
Level 3: Get Active in your job search
Once you have your profile in tip-top shape and a growing network to tap into, you can search and apply for openings through LinkedIn.
- Follow companies you would like to work for
- Save and apply for jobs you are interested in. (For applying on your phone)
- Reach out to your network for referrals
- Network with your connections through LinkedIn Messages. In your message to them, think about how you can help them and they can help you.
How are you utlizing LinkedIn to maximize your job search?