The right people + The right places = Opportunities. – The Proximity Principle
The Proximity Principle by Ken Coleman is a great book for job seekers or anyone not content in their current role. The theme of the book is getting “in proximity” to what you want – career-wise. Coleman shares his own personal experience with finding his dream job. Coleman notes: Everyone wants to do work that matters. The Proximity Principle is a guidebook to get you there!
Right now, 70 percent of Americans aren’t passionate about their work and are desperately longing for meaning and purpose. They’re sick of “average” and know there’s something better out there, but they just don’t know how to reach it.
Forget the traditional career advice you’ve heard! Networking, handing out business cards, and updating your online profile does nothing to set you apart from other candidates. Ken will show you how to be intentional and genuine about the connections you make with a fresh, unexpected take on resumes and the job interview process. You’ll discover the five people you should look for and the four best places to grow, learn, practice, and perform so you can step into the role you were created to fill.
Here are a few of my favorite takeaways from the book:
- You must never stop learning, no matter how high you climb.
- No one is sitting around thinking about how they can help you find your dream job.
- To get in proximity to your dream job, you need to find professionals who are excelling at the work you’d love to do at the highest level.
- You will experience the most growth when you surround yourself with talented people who challenge you to perform at a higher level.
- Use the connections you already have to make new ones in the place you’d love to work.
Be in proximity to what you want. Read The Proximity Principle to find out how!