A resume is essential for college or career bound high school students. Applying for colleges is competitive, as is applying for a job. An easy to read, well-developed resume that sets you apart from others can help put you in a favorable position.
So, how do you get started? First, you should make a comprehensive list of your academic achievements and extracurricular activities. Be sure to include all activities, honors, jobs, internships, volunteer hours, and so on. Ask others for input. Teachers, counselors, parents and friends can be helpful in creating your list.
Next, you can begin to build your resume. It is important to keep your resume to one page if possible. Here are a few key items to include:
- A header with basic information including your name, address, phone number and email address.
- Overview (optional): Can be used for a specific purpose such as consideration for a scholarship or intended major
- Key Stats: Class rank, GPA, SAT and/or ACT score
- Education: High schools attended. (Optional: Senior year classes & AP or impressive courses taken prior to senior year)
- School Activities: List activities and grade including clubs, class activities, sports, etc. Include leadership roles and special recognition.
- Community Activities: List activities, leadership roles and grades during which you participated.
- Enrichment Activities: Include relevant programs, special projects, travel experiences, hobbies, musical accomplishments
- Work Experience: Starting with the most recent, list each work experience, including job title, business name and location, dates of your employment. Include anything else that would be impressive (e.g. specific duties, recognition).
- Volunteer roles
As you are working on building an amazing resume, consider using action verbs. Quintessential Careers has a good list to get you started.
For sample resumes, check out these links:
Finally, don’t forget that your resume is an opportunity to market yourself! Essentially, it showcases your strengths and abilities. Allow your talents, passions and values to shine and you will set yourself apart from the crowd!